Led by Governor Dannel Malloy and Lt. Governor Nancy Wyman, the Democrats in the Connecticut General Assembly have proven, yet again, that they are unwilling to protect and support Connecticut’s public school students, parents, teachers and public schools.
Today the Connecticut General Assembly will rush through a vote on a massive $40 billion spending and tax bill that not only makes record cuts to vital human services and education funding, but provides the “blood money” needed to open two new charter schools in Connecticut…despite the fact that the boards of education in both “host” communities VOTED AGAINST the allowing the proposed charter schools to open.
As Malloy/Wyman demanded, the infamous anti-union charter school advocate, Steve Perry, will get money, diverted from Connecticut’s public schools, to open a charter school in Bridgeport.
Perry’s most noteworthy accomplishment in Connecticut is his use of the “Table of Shame” at Capital Prep Magnet School to humiliate students who failed to follow his rules. On the national level, Perry, who calls himself American’s most trusted educator, is fond of calling teachers’ unions’ cockroaches.
Malloy/Wyman are forcing the second charter school upon Stamford. Again, even though the local board of education voted against the proposal and testified against the project before the State Board of Education and the Connecticut General Assembly, less Connecticut taxpayer funds will be going to public schools and instead, a Bronx charter school company will be getting millions so that it can open a charter school in the Governor’s hometown.
As if giving more money to the discriminatory charter schools, while cutting funding for public schools wasn’t enough to earn the Malloy-Wyman Team an F on Education, the Democrats in the Connecticut General Assembly will end the session by;
- Failing to decouple the unfair Common Core SBAC test results from the state’s teacher evaluation system.
- Failing to pass legislation supporting a parents fundamental right to opt their child or children out of the discriminatory and inappropriate Common Core SBAC test.
- Failing to ensure appropriate protections are put in place to protect the privacy rights of student and parents due to the massive data collection scam that is part of the Common Core SBAC testing scheme.
- And even failing to make any meaningful changes in the amount of standardized testing that is undermining the ability of Connecticut’s teachers to provide children with the instructional time the need.
From the first day of this year’s legislative session to the last, the Malloy-Wyman Team maintained their never-ending quest to receive a Grade of F on education. Instead of doing anything to support public education and teachers, Malloy and Wyman maintained their commitment to the following;
- More money for the charter school industry
- More support for the corporate education reform agenda
- Less money for Connecticut’s public schools, meaning higher property taxes
- An ongoing attempt to denigrate teachers and the teaching profession
- An unwillingness to treat parents with dignity and respect
- And a complete failure to support the value of local control.
Every parent, teacher and taxpayer take heed;
Governor Malloy, Lt. Governor Wyman and the Democrats have proven, beyond any doubt, that they are unwilling to do what is right for Connecticut’s public school students, parents, teachers and schools.
When teachers lose their jobs
When school programs are cut
When local property taxes go up
When students and parents are harassed and abused about the Common Core SBAC testing
When private data on students and parents is shared with private companies
When teachers are unfairly punished by the teacher evaluation debacle
We will know and remember who turned their back when we needed them most
You can read more about the latest education disaster via the following links:
Malloy Flexes Muscle For Charter Schools (CT Newsjunkie)
And from Wait, What?