As the stories pour in from people who have experienced Steve Perry and Capital Prep’s “no excuses” approach to “education,” it has become increasingly clear that administrative and legal steps are needed to protect children and hold people accountable for their actions.
Capital Prep parents, former parents, former students, teachers and former teachers have reported serious violations of federal and state laws, regulations and policies.
Specific concerns have been raised about Capital Prep’s failures when it comes to the following issues;
- Failure to provide special education services
- Failure to prevent bullying and provide a safe, healthy school climate
- Excessive discipline that can easily be defined as child abuse
- Pushing, out-migrating or counseling out students who have discipline issues or require special education services or are not likely to be accepted to a four year college
- Requiring teachers to teach outside of their certification
- Failure to achieve their purported 100% college attendance claim
- Telling parents to lie on student demographic forms to allow Capital Prep to achieve its Sheff diversity goals
- Failure to follow advertised school lottery policy.
A group of individuals are coming together to explore appropriate administrative and legal action.
All information provided will be assumed to be completely confidentially unless you agree otherwise. Also please note in your communication if you’d be willing to sign a legal affidavit about the issues you report.
Thank you very much for helping us to develop the information necessary to take action on these issues.