CT Post editorial asks Bridgeport officials to stop pissing away taxpayer’s money…

In an editorial entitled “Demand better from City Attorney’s Office,” the Connecticut Post’s editorial writers raise an issue that should be on the mind of every Bridgeport and Connecticut taxpayer. 

The question is….what the heck is the Bridgeport Attorney’s Office thinking…

And how is it that they have absolutely no sense of duty to the taxpayers that are paying their bills.

The Connecticut Post editorial reads;

“Let’s run through a few recent highlights.

“I have been fairly well-assured that there is no federal or state funds in this,” Bridgeport City Attorney Mark Anastasi told the City Council on Monday when asked about the infamous airport driveway that has dominated the city’s attention in recent months. “I’ve heard nothing but the fact that no federal funds were used,” he added.

Council members could be forgiven for expecting better, and residents could be forgiven for expecting the city attorney to provide definitive answers to obvious questions.

Not long before that, the City Council, newly emboldened to do its job and ask a few questions on how city funds are being spent, wanted answers from Associate City Attorney Ronald Pacacha — answers that were not to be had. The issue was a discrepancy over how much money was required to pay for an improved senior center. The council had been told it would be $700,000, but now the price tag stood at $741,000. When asked where the money was to come from, Pacacha responded, “I’m not quite sure.”

A week before that came a jaw-dropping piece of legal advice to the city’s Board of Education courtesy of Anastasi. Faced with the possible removal of Superintendent Paul Vallas, a contingent on the school board had been seeking, reasonably, to start the long process of finding a replacement. Anastasi, though, told the board not to form a search committee because it would send a signal to the Supreme Court that the board lacks confidence in the superintendent’s position.

The Supreme Court, if it is doing its job, does not care one whit about a signal sent by the school board. It wants to know whether Vallas is legally qualified to hold his position. If it rules, as is distinctly possible, that he is not, and the district is caught flat-footed because there is no contingency plan in place, it will be in no small part because of the city attorney’s advice.”

And if that wasn’t enough, the Connecticut Post editorial then tackles that infamous “driveway deal” in which Bridgeport officials went way over the top and violated the law in their efforts to help a powerful, politically connected local developer.

The editorial paints an ugly and disturbing story that should be outraging taxpayers in the City and the state and should be of primary concern to state and local officials.

You can find the full editorial at: http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Demand-better-from-City-Attorney-s-Office-4710463.php

As the Connecticut Post editorial concludes;

“If Bridgeport residents [and those of Connecticut] want a cleanup of problematic aspects of city government, this office [the City Attorney] is the first place to demand changes.”

  • Castles Burning

    This is a dire picture. Not only is the disclosure of financial information inaccurate, but the Office is interfering with the Board of Education’s responsibility to provide for a superintendent committed to Bridgeport schools.

    How does one demand changes of the Office of the City Attorney?

  • DKETL1075

    What really gets me is the arrogance of the city attorney and by association, the Mayor’s office. All the bravado is just not needed. They feel without any doubt they are correct and how dare any one question their knowledge or strategy is not even a consideration in the administration’s mind. How many times do they have to be overruled and defeated until someone realizes that perhaps we have the wrong people in the decision making roles.